Local fundraising example:
22nd Annual day
Net fin result (€)
|Organisation||Bahujan Hitay Goa|
|Funding needed for||Underprivileged children|
|Period of action||March 4, 2014|
|In-kind donations raised||Yes, but not specified|
|Types of donations||Corporate and individual donations|
|Types of donors||Social Welfare Department of Goa, local businesses, the community in general|
An Annual Programme was organised as a fundraising event, in which guests were invited from the Municipal Corporation and Social Welfare Department of Goa. Local community people, including parents, were present for the event and students performed cultural activities at the event.
Tips and lessons learned
You should make a proper budget for the event, keeping in mind the risk factor: the variance between expected and actual action result, due to low response from donors.
BH Goa concluded that next time they need to focus more on planning the event and sharing responsibilities.
It is wise to approach donors at least two months before the event.
Review by Wilde Ganzen Foundation
This is a good example of a first attempt that was not as successful as expected. BH Goa raised a little more than twice the amount they spent on the event. They do not specify the costs, but it would be interesting to investigate if any of these costs could be sponsored by corporates the next time. A strong point is that the organisation obviously sat down afterwards to evaluate and decide what they will do differently when they organise the Annual Day in 2015.
- Fundraising through a programme at local level.
- Community awareness.
- Government officials
- Members of the community
- Local businesses
- Local sponsors
|Cost/benefit||National currency (INR)||Euro|
|Total amount raised||105,000||1,229|
|(-) Total amount invested||50,000||585|
|Net amount raised||55,000||644|
Description of preparatory work
- Preparation of dance and cultural programme by staff and teachers.
- Searching and contacting sponsors by leader and trustees of BH Goa.
- Inviting corporated for the event.
- Inviting Chairperson of Municipal Council< Arranging logistics Arranging venue.
Description of implementation
- The entire programme was implemented as per the action plan.
- Dance and cultural programme was performed by children.
- Chief guests announced some contribution for the upliftment of children.
- People from the community were informed about the aims and objectives of the project and approached for a donation. A donation box was put up at the event. Also some expenses like food and snacks were taken care of by the community members.
Plans to repeat the action
BH Goa intends to invite the donors and corporates on other important days like Independent Day and Republic Day as well, to better acquaint them with their work. They are also trying to recruit some of them to help the children of the centre with educational activities. The Annual Day will be repeated in 2015, with better planning (see Tips and Lessons learned).