Local fundraising example:
Net fin result (€)
|Organisation||Smile Foundation India|
|Funding needed for||The work of Smile Foundation India|
|Period of action||Since October 2013|
|In-kind donations raised|
|Types of donations||Individual donations|
|Types of donors||Harley Davidson owners and their families|
SummarySmile Foundation is involving Harley Davidson owners from various chapters in India to come forward and raise funds for the work of Smile Foundation. Charity rides have taken place in Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi so far and have been highly successsful in converting big ticket individual donors. So far Smile has been able to influence 300 donors who have together collected around Rs. 800,000/- (or EUR 9.500). Harley Davidson owners in India belong to the high net individuals (HNI´s) and are potential individual donors, as most of them are serious about giving back to society.
Tips and lessons learned
1. This event has a lot of potential to become a regular big fundraiser without much hassel.
2. This is a good way to raise money from the clients when the corporate is not supporting financially.
1. Since this campaign is not individual driven, you need to keep the tempo really high to explore fund raising opportunities. Continuous follow-up is the key to a successful campaign.
2. Some chapters preferred to donate cash. In order to collect donor data for future use it is wise to encourage more people to donate online instead.
Review by Wilde Ganzen Foundation
This is a good example of how to involve HNI´s by organising an activity they like and stimulating them to turn it onto a fundraising event, while at the same time showing the association between your organisation and a well-known brand. Moreover it is a great networking opportunity with key persons of potential donors on a corporate level.
1. More individual supporters from a HNI segment.
2. Creating a strong base of individuals who can be approached for various fundraising events of Smile in the targeted cities.
Harley Davidson owners and their families.
|Cost/benefit||National currency (INR)||Euro|
|Total amount raised||265,000||3,154|
|(-) Total amount invested||40,000||476|
|Net amount raised||225,000||2,678|
These are the financial results of the first H.O.G. ride in Bangalore. The second one, in Mumbai, already raised more than twice this amount, at practically the same costs.
Description of preparatory work
Planning the approach and the timelines.
Creating communication collaterals (mailers and website).
Follow-up with HOG directors to ensure more participation.
Follow-up mailers and donation announcement on a daily basis.
Description of implementation
Post creating a synergy between the local dealers, Smile worked on timeline and registration form.
Then they had mailers reaching out to all HOG’s to contribute towards the cause and share the same mailer amongst their pear group who donated on their behalf.
Post a defined duration Smile finalised a date for the ride and the around 50 HOG’s joined a ride to support the cause.
Culmination happened over a small presentation including certificate handover, photo opportunities with the kids and riders; the race is flagged off by the kids from Smile.